I know that you have heard me talk about various supplements that assist in the healing of the hair and scalp but I think it is important to discuss root causes and how to address them thus highlighting… MACA ROOT!
Maca Root is a hidden gem as it is a close relative radish and has gained a reputation for helping balance hormones. It is naturally high in minerals (calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and zinc), sterols, up to 20 essential fatty acids, lipids, fiber, carbohydrates, protein, and amino acids. Maca contains the nutrients necessary to support normal hormone production and helps balance hormones and due to an excess of environmental estrogens. While most people’s hormones are out of natural balance, the maca stimulates and nourishes the hypothalamus and pituitary glands that are the “master glands” of the body. These glands actually regulate the other glands, so when in balance they can bring balance to the adrenal, thyroid, and pancreas, ovarian and testicular glands.
Maca root has been shown to be helpful for many hormonal problems including PMS, menopause, and hot flashes. It is also a fertility enhancer and is known for improving libido and sexual function, especially in men. For this reason, it has earned the nickname “nature’s Viagra”. In addition to aiding in hormonal imbalances, maca root has other benefits as well.
Although maca itself contains no actual hormones, most of maca root’s benefits are attributed to its ability to help restore sexual, endocrine (hormonal) and mental health. Here are our top five Maca root benefits:
- PMS, Menopause, and Women with Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS): Maca Root is known to help with hormone balance that often contributes to improving the symptoms of PMS and Menopause. In females with PCOS, maca is believed to assist by regulating estrogen levels in the body.
- Women’s Hormones, Fertility, and Sexual Health: A 2008 study from the journal menopause showed that maca benefits had positive results on boosting menopausal women’s moods and decreasing levels of anxiety and depression.
Maca is believed to restore women’s hormonal balance by nurturing the endocrine system and assisting in the regulation of healthy adrenal and thyroid hormone production. Thus aiding in hormonal hair loss.
- Male’s Testosterone Levels and Fertility: Red maca has benefits for male hormonal health. It has been shown to reduce prostate size in studies done on male rats. This points to the conclusion that maca may possibly help improve human prostate health as well. In other studies, maca has also been shown to improve sperm production, mobility and volume, all-important factors of increasing fertility.
- Energy, Memory and Mood: Clinical trials have shown that maca has positive impact on energy, stamina and mood. Maintaining positive energy levels is linked to having lower levels of anxiety and depression, both of which maca has been shown to help achieve. Exactly how maca increases energy is still unknown, however it is believed that it may be able to do so by helping to stabilize blood sugar levels (which decrease energy spikes and dips) and to maintain adrenal health, which helps stabilize mood and energy throughout the day.
- Antioxidant Booster: Maca root acts as a natural antioxidant and boosts levels of glutathione and SOD (superoxide dismutase). These are two big disease fighters in the body. Results from recent studies demonstrate that maca root has the ability to help prevent the development of chronic human diseases that are characterized by high levels of “bad” cholesterol, high antioxidant levels and impaired glucose tolerance. In addition, Maca improves glucose tolerance, by lowering levels of glucose in blood. This is especially important for those who need monitor heart health and conditions like diabetes or metabolic syndrome.
As any other supplement I recommend, please check with your doctor before incorporating new supplements into your regimen.
APRIL JOANNE JONESDecember 09, 2020 at 12:25 PM
Is it good for Women who only have there Ovaries? Hysterectomy
CoreenDecember 09, 2020 at 12:42 PM
All u said is true. However I also read that for women who have or had breast cancer associated with estrogen or something should be cautious as this could interfere with their medication which is trying to reduce their estrogen levels. So anyone that has or had breast cancer needs to speak with their doctor before consuming
LaDonna PurlDecember 09, 2020 at 12:42 PM
I love this post! This was very helpful for me since I have Hypothyroid. I will definitely give this a try.